Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gifts of Gratitude

It's Shabbat. I hear the birds chirping through the door. I think they have Shabbat down. It's a daily meditation for them. They gather in communities, in nature. They don't get caught up in facebook, looking for a job, wondering what their purpose is on this planet. I am definitely not a bird. But I do have this amazing tool that brings me to a daily Shabbat, even if for a few minutes. It's my gratitude list. It is the antidote to resentment. It is one of the elixirs to a good life. It is a practiced reminder, because I am often forgetful of the truth, of the goodness that surrounds me, everyday.

This week was a very enriching, busy, full week. I went on a job interview and was offered another when the first interview was over. The miracle that I experienced was actually feeling that I had much to offer to whichever organization was interested in bringing me aboard. A year and a half a go I couldn't muster enough courage to write a cover letter, thought I had nothing to offer that was marketable and surpassed many jobs feeling highly under-qualified.

Truly, there has been an internal shift. This week I felt that I had insight, kindness, compassion hope and a myriad of skills that I could offer. I felt elated getting the chance to learn about the different kinds of opportunities that lay ahead and reminded myself that the universe has a plan already. I am just waiting for it to unfold.

I have also been blessed by a kinder, gentler Boot Camp program, or so I thought, until the day following the work out... It has been absolutely transformative and it is just the second week. It feels like I am actually inhabiting my body. I must, my neurons have been firing "You are in Pain" messages.

It's been fabulous to wake up before sunrise and get a chance to greet the day alongside a Great Blue Heron, a waddling skunk and a small community of zestful women.

Last night we started a Shabbat get together for a few friends. Thirty two people showed up and sang songs that ranged from Broadway to 1960's Israeli TV commercials. Some played Apples to Apples, the Jewish version, and some bounced on the trampoline until a child twisted her back the wrong way when someone bounced on her. The ambulance arrived shortly. It was definitely a most memorable coming together.

One of our non-Jewish friends asked what Shabbat is about. What a blessing it was to hear him and respond. We tend to forget, in a busy, multi-tasked life how to even consider the question. That's why we called our community together: To play and laugh, be silly and get close. To bounce and sing, feel connected and included. It is a contradiction to Jews who may feel even more isolated than usual these days.

My intention is to bring people together often. So we remember our blessings of the week as we take a break for 24 hours from work, from changing the world. We must refuel for another week of Tikkun Olam, the repairing of the world. So if you're in the neighborhood on the third Friday of the month, come by. The only requirement is the desire to connect, play and rest. That's Jewish enough. Dayenu.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like there are so many wonderful things going on. I am happy for your job interviews and the increased confidence that must have brought! Great energy in this blog post, it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete