Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

Another Addict's Aspirations

It's hard for me to read certain blogs that my friends write about food. As an addict, I have a hard time reading that some people don't think they have an addiction with food, but they keep getting fatter, are pre-diabetic or diabetic, are on the verge or have had a heart attack and continue to have a constant, incessant monologue obsessing over food. It's hard for me to read that, because that is how I write when I eat compulsively.

I want to support friends who feel that it's just their "bad attitude" or that they were being "bad", in the way with which they engaged with food. I've heard all the reasons why today is not the right day for my so-called "Nazi" food program. If these friends could understand internally the freedom that I now feel because I don't have the obsession with the food, they might feel differently.

This is what my conversation sounded like before I was abstinent:
"I really shouldn't be eating this.
I've got to be strong.
Well, Maybe just a little won't hurt.
I've had a bad day and I deserve a bit of a break.
Fuck those who think I am ugly because I have a bit of girth. In renaissance times, they liked real women. Sexism and the media suck.
I will have that brownie and some ice cream for all the jerks who want to minimize me.
I am not an addict. not a bad one. I have a home, a job, a partner. I am not in the gutter.
I wonder if anyone will notice if I have a second brownie.
Maybe I'll help with the "clean-up",
I hate to toss food away..."

The amazing thing is that I NO LONGER have this conversation. It just doesn't exist. My worth is not based on food. I am neither good or bad. I am not in dialogue with the food. I now get my weighed and measured meal from the list of foods that don't make me crazy when I eat them, I commit them to my sponsor, and eat them while I have a dialogue with the person who sits and eats with me. There are no thoughts of what I should or shouldn't have afterward. It's done. I am released. My food is delicious. I can actually be present enough to taste it.

I am not judging those who struggle with food. I understand it's the disease that speaks. Or maybe, they really aren't addicts and they can manage their life just fine, thank you very much. I pray that they are not like me. I hope that they don't have food and health issues that keep them hating themselves. Or that stop them from moving towards happiness and connection. I hope they can just go to weight watchers or regular OA and maintain a healthy weight for the rest of their lives. I hope they don't need the spiritual tools of the program to help them take a look at why they've eaten or to help them see what is their character flaws and how to work with them. Maybe unlike me, they really don't need to deal with devastating rage or despair, loneliness and confusion. I really pray that they are not like me.

But if they are, then I pray for the Divine to intervene and please grant them the desperation to come to my program. To come to the place of sanity after they've done their research and failed. To come in and hold hands with the rest of us who know that our will is what we had to give up in order to get a life.

So to all that are still struggling, please know that when I get a little anxious when I invite you to a meeting and you aren't ready, it's not because I am mad at you or think you are "bad", I just want you to stay my friend for a really long time and I'd really love to see you loving yourself first and foremost.

1 comment:

  1. Oohh, my ears are burning!

    Seriously though. That's the million dollar question, isn't it: if what I am currently doing feels like "enough." I don't think I've been on my current path long enough to know, but I've already experienced SUCH an incredible relief from struggle in comparison to how I was doing before.

    I guess only time will tell. If I do fall into major struggle again, I will join you, I promise. But right now I feel at peace. And I truly appreciate your love and concern.

    ReplyDelete